GHP Regional Hydroclimate Projects (RHPs)
RHPs are generally large, regionally-focused multidisciplinary projects that aim to improve the understanding and prediction of that region’s weather, climate, and hydrology. All RHPs address the physical processes surrounding water and energy exchanges within a region, thus addressing the GEWEX Science Questions. Most RHPs are broader than this, often addressing questions related to the biosphere and carbon cycle, human interaction in the landscape, and even socio-economic factors.
In order for a new project to be recognized as an RHP, it must satisfy the RHP criteria.
- HyMeX: HYdrological cycle in the Mediterranean Experiment
- CCRN: Changing Cold Regions Network
The potential RHPs below are at various stages of development. If you are interested in getting involved with one, please contact the International GEWEX Project Office.
- HyVic: Hydrology of Lake Victoria Basin
- OzEWEX: Australian Energy and Water Exchanges
- Baltic Earth: Earth System Science for the Baltic Sea Region
- PannEx: a regional hydroclimate project for the Pannonian Basin
Several RHPs have been completed. These RHPs have left legacy data sets and knowledge that is often still accessible through their websites.
- MAHASRI: Monsoon Asian Hydro-Atmosphere Scientific Research and Prediction Initiative (ended 2016)
- NEESPI: Northern Eurasia Earth Science Partnership Initiative (ended 2015)
- BALTEX: Baltic Sea Experiment (ended 2013)
- LPB: La Plata Basin (ended 2012)
- MDB: Murray-Darling Basin (ended 2011)
- LBA: Large-Scale Biosphere-Atmosphere Experiment in Amazonia
- AMMA: African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis Project
- CPPA: Climate Prediction Program for the Americas (formerly GEWEX Americas Prediction Project – GAPP) (ended 2010)
- GAME: GEWEX Asian Monsoon Experiment (ended 2005)
- MAGS: Mackenzie GEWEX Study (ended 2005)
- GCIP: GEWEX Continental-scale International Project (ended 2001)